Re: [security] password safekeep mechanism

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:12:06 -0700

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Amar Kumar Padhi <>wrote:

> I want to get a general opinion on how you store or recommend password
> should be placed and shared. Thanks in advance.

Some things I would look for:

  • Data should be encrypted
  • Permissions to retrieve password should be grantable on at least a user basis. Adding a group basis is nice as well.
  • Some sort of data organization that makes sense for you (by servers, database vendors, ... - completely configurable is best)
  • An absolute must - there should be a way to retrieve passwords from the command line for use in scripts.

Jared Still