Re: Guidelines for avoid Bind Variable Peeking behavior

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:46:19 +0200

Roberto,

    The best way to avoid bind variable peeking issues is to bind variables that change a lot, and hard-code values that don't change often between calls, especially when the distribution of these values is far from uniform ...

    I don't think that hints are the best solution; for one thing, I'm not very far from thinking that hints are intrinsically evil ... But in your particular case, if the plans change (and given the sense of urgency carried out by your email it doesn't look like the odd, once in a while, plan change that wreaks havoc) it's that the optimizer computes that it has to change. With hints you are guaranteed to be suboptimal in some cases; perhaps less blatantly suboptimal than now, but suboptimal nevertheless. And you are mortgaging the future. Besides, your "lots of procedures with lots of statements" makes me fear that you have other problems pending than the more obvious ones you have now ... There are things I don't really understand here. I assume, possibly wrongly, that by 'procedure' you mean 'PL/SQL procedure'. Unless you build your queries on the fly and EXECUTE IMMEDIATE them, PL/SQL shouldn't be a problem.

If removing the histograms made the situation worse, it's probably that some stuff is properly coded in your program and required histograms.

If I were you, I wouldn't look for an universal solution - in my experience, even in a complex application, problems are usually fairly localized to a handful of queries. Why don't you start by identifying queries that take the most elapsed time, those that take the most CPU and perform the most logical I/Os (very often they are the same ones)? Statspack/ADDM/V$SQLSTATS can tell you that fairly easily. Remember the 80/20 (Pareto) rule? I have always found it to be closer to 90/10 in the case of Oracle.

You are much more likely to get results fast by taking a couple of days rewriting those queries in a way that makes sense to the optimizer (even if you have, God forbid, to add a hint) than by randomly trying changes that risk adversely affect the whole program.

HTH S Faroult

ghSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>