SQL in Sproc runs 10x longer than sql at a prompt

From: Brady, Mark <Mark.Brady_at_Constellation.Com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:17:58 -0400

Ok,

So we run a proc from SQL*PLUS or Toad and we see it finish in about 100 seconds.

The same SQL in a Stored Proc runs for 1000 seconds.

Anticipating, they aren't "actually" the same... that's true, they have 2 different hash values.

However,

They both have the same SQL PLAN HASH value.

Doesn't that mean they have the same plan? This isn't an issue of plan instability between the stored procedure environment and the SQL*PLUS environment, right? Knowing Oracle, that's surely not the end-of-the-story.

What should I be looking at?