Re: Building Slow Development Systems (On Purpose)

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:09:13 -0500

I do think that there's a big benefit to knowing how to make your nearly idle development machine with little load and data behave like a very busy production machine with lots of load and data. You definitely do need to "de-tune" test systems to make them exhibit the similar performance characteristics to those that will occur in anger later.

I think the athletic training analogy is right-on.

That doesn't equate to tricking developers, or giving them crappy tools or equipment. I think great developers deserve the best equipment and tools you can afford (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html). But in unit testing, you need to stress your code in ways that simulate the kinds of performance problems that are going to show up in reality later. That means simulating heavily-loaded disks, queued-for CPUs, locked rows, busy buffers, and so on.

Give great developers the target of excellent performance and some understanding of how properly to measure performance (see, e.g., my "Making Friends" paper at method-r.com), and they will help figure out how to design tests that shorten the feedback loop on production performance problem detection and repair.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation

http://method-r.com
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com