Re: asm vs raw - the smackdown

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:16:38 -0700

Both ASM and raw use the exact same system calls to issue I/O, so there is no performance difference based on function calls/call stack.

The ASM advantage is in the automatic striping of data over the LUNs (ASM disks) - the ASM logical layer. This reduces time to implement a well performing db layout as well as maintenance (disk additions & rebalanced) in the future. In other words, it takes much more time and effort to create a good layout with raw than it does with ASM.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn