RE: Fw: OT - Getting fired for database oops

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_poderc.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:28:19 +0300

Well the root ownership doesn't prevent you from renaming the original sqlplus/admin directory to something else and cloning that directory back using cp -rp, which would lose the root ownership bit.

If you set the whole tree as owned by root - then you can just clone your whole directory to /tmp and run from there.

Also there are other tricks like using LD_PRELOAD env variable to redirect some file opens to your custom files without the application knowing about it.

So the setting the root ownership wouldn't be a secure solution, it would be "security by obscurity" at most.

--
Regards,
Tanel Poder