Re: Fw: OT - Getting fired for database oops

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:32:08 -0700

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Tanel Poder <tanel_at_poderc.com> wrote:

> The reason why I don't use special prompts or screen colors is that there's
> a theoretical chance that these don't get set or reset *for whatever
> reason* (like human error, someone forgot to set the color for latest db
> name or install the glogin.sql script properly etc). But querying server
> side v$ views is as close as you get in determining where you're logged on.

Hi Tanel,

I use all of the above, depending on OS. Colored CMD windows on Windows for when I have to run
several simultaneous jobs, xtitle for Putty and xterm.

As you said, it is important to know which database and server you are actually on.

It is good practice to check which database/server you are on when doing potentially
dangerous admin work.

What I didn't state in earlier posts is that my main purpose for the Xtitles, prompts and
different color backgrounds is so that I can easily identify which window is which.

Last week for instance, I had to patch 7 databases during a 2 hour outage window.

I had up to 3 patches running simultaneously. Without being able to easily identify
which window is the correct one, I would have to page through them until I find the
right one.

It's easy enough then to run uname -a, whoami or showdb.sql to make sure of where I am.

I also use ls -l <pattern> or ls -lR <pattern> before a rm or recursive rm, select before
delete, etc.

If there were more DBA's here this would be a bit simpler, as I wouldn't have to
do them all myself, but as such, I just need to find ways to get the job done in
the time alloted. :)

Jared