Re: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 10:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

SOME Oracle Press books are just fine!! :-) I tend to think the RMAN and New Features titles are spectacular successes .... of course, I am a totally and completely neutral spectator with respect to those titles!!

I will say that the book I was referring too was on one of the lists of good publishers you mentioned below... :-)

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

From: Jared Still <> To:
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists <> Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:07:16 PM
Subject: Re: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Scott Sibert <> wrote:

Is this an Oracle Press book? I hope not -- I tend to trust them more.

One of the worst pieces of Oracle information I've ever seen was in an Oracle Press book...

Addison Wesley and Sam's were two publishers to trust once upon a time, don't know if that still holds true, or if both are still in business.

O'Reilly is generally pretty good.

Apress books that I have seen have all been excellent.