Re: Awr Units?

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:52:31 -0500

Ken,

The pio stats that Oracle emits in its V$ views and Oracle trace files are in units of "number of Oracle blocks obtained by OS read calls." I don't mean *read* literally: they might be *read()*, or *pread()*, or *readv()*, etc. The lio stats (e.g., exposed in the trace data as *cr* and *cu*) are expressed in units of "number of database buffer accesses." Note that this does *not* mean the same thing as "number of database blocks." For example, cr=10000 may mean that 10,000 different blocks were accessed, but it may well mean that the same db block was accessed in the database buffer cache 10,000 times. You can't know from the single 10000 statistic anything about the number of distinct blocks accessed.

Cary Millsap
Method R Corporation

http://method-r.com
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com