Re: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

From: Rajeev Prabhakar <rprabha01_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:08:46 -0400

Hi Robert,

I full agree with your statement - buyer beware.

There are all sorts of books in the market. Some have a cookie cutter approach, some
are quite detailed, well researched and provide plenty of real-life knowledge to the
reader and others are somewhere in between.

IMHO, two things - context and shelf life of the information imparted are so critical for
anything out there (book OR an article). These are particularly important nowadays given
the availability of any kind of information on the internet.

The *context* can clarify the applicability of the mentioned fixes/solutions to the kind of
environments (prod/qa/test/dev) where the "method" would be relevant. Then comes the
closely intertwined *shelf life* (sell-by-date) aspect. I believe, the onus of highlighting
them lies primarily on the Author.

That would help everyone (Juniors and the Seniors).

Best Regards,
Rajeev