FreeRADIUS and Oracle (and YPDNR)

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 09:31:15 -0400

I was curious to know if anybody has any experience using Oracle as a backend for FreeRADIUS. We're looking at setting up FreeRADIUS and the administrators would like to use Oracle RAC for the backend. I'm in the "You Probably Don't Need RAC" camp. I would prefer that the radius boxes (there would be several) would point to separate Oracle databases on separate boxes (all of which would contain snapshots of the authentication data). I am told that the radius servers need to reference a single source of accounting information (an accounting table) so that they can verify whether or not a user is already logged in - hence the need for RAC. I skimmed through the FreeRADIUS documentation and I see that they allow for load balancing between database servers. Therefore I am trying to understand if and single accounting table is really needed, or if there is another solution. I'm even considering a view that might tie the separate accounting tables in the different databases together, although this could pose a problem if one of the databases is down. I just thought I'd check to see if anybody has experience with this product.

Thank you,

Jay Hostetter

DBA D&E Communications

Ephrata, PA

**DISCLAIMER This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.