Re: on call support when your system breaks constantly

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 20:25:47 -0300

I am in a place like that now. We are a large team and are slowly stabilizing the systems... but there were week when I wouldn't sleep... I know people *expected* me to show up the next day, but if I had a rough night, I would just turn off the phone durin regular work hours and sleep. Nobody ever complained, but I was the only one of the team that did this. Of course, the first thing I suggested was: if you need 24x7 converage on the DBs and need to perform regular maintenance tasks off hours, hire more DBAs and spread their shifts so we have 24x7 covered. On-call is *only* for issues that have impact on the business.

hth
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional