Re: OT - Getting fired for database oops

From: <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_seb.lt>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:26:39 +0300

>Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
>It was after a power failure, on startup, the database wrote that he was
in the middle of a write I/O and I have to restore from backup and do recover.

Exactly.
Once upon a time my Windows Oracle DB used to stop with windows NT error "code 5(?) access denied blabla "
We failed over to the standby. All fine but all we had to do was to restart the box. Actually we should have tried this first and the failover next.

             Yechiel Adar
             <adar666_at_inter.ne
             t.il>                                                      To
             Sent by:
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                          cc
             reelists.org              oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: OT - Getting fired for database
             2009.05.20 08:44          oops

             Please respond to
             adar666_at_inter.net
                    .il

I was very happy when then put separate logoff button in Windows 2003. I usually do select host_name from v$instance and select name from v$database before any important (destructive) action to be on the safe side.

I destroyed the bank database about 20 years ago. It was after a power failure, on startup, the database wrote that he was in the middle of a write I/O and I have to restore from backup and do recover.
To make a long story short, there was a bug in the recovery process and 24 hours later we had the database up from the last backup and started to run last night load all over again.
Later it turned out that the database message was a bug and it should not appear.

We had a meeting with the database representative where I asked only one question:
What would you do if you were in my place? He said: What you did.
After that I shut up and let the managers and representatives shout it our.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel