Re: OT - Getting fired for database oops

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:59:01 -0400

seen this before...

2 DBAs were fired from K-12 in Herndon last fall for something that wasn't even their fault. There was a middle tier problem where it was spawning too many connections. The database went down for 10 days due to too many connections. A consultant from oracle help them pick better memory settings to help accomadate this. The management blamed the DBAs and fired them. I was told by people at the company that it really wasn't their fault, the VP almost got fired so he fired them to save his job. I heard about Sysadmins being fired because of failures in hardware or systems going down.

It does happen. Managers sometimes look to scapegoat people. i worked with a contractor several years ago who did alot of builds. He had been on the contract for about 3.5 years. He worked a ton of unpaid hours without being asked. He made 1 mistake and put something in production that should not be and got fired.

Some companies fire people really quickly. Some managers do. I was on a project once where they fired so many people around us others were quitting. So they wanted to give us new contracts that said that if we quit or got fired for any reason they would not have to pay us for up to the last 2 months we were there. I refused to sign it, but I had been there for a while and basically wrote most of the code for an application. The new people all signed it.