RE: OT - Getting fired for database oops

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:35:33 -0400

I don't have a snapshotted VM here to try that on, but wouldn't that only help if I'm trying to use an expansion variable, such as:

rm -rf *

I think even with a -I file rm -rf / will still destroy everything under the root directory, since the shell won't ever pass the -i as an argument.

[] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: OT - Getting fired for database oops

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Bobak, Mark <> wrote:

rm -rf / many ways can that one bite you? Honestly, sometimes I think rm needs an option like:

rm -rf
-yes-i-know-i-specified-rf-and-yes-i-know-im-about-to-specify-the-root-d irectory-and-yes-i-know-im-logged-in-as-root-do-it-anyways /

easily mitigated by 'touch -- -i' in key directories, such as '/'

Jared Still