Re: Removing downloaded Oracle software

From: Ian Cary <ian.cary_at_ons.gsi.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:14:49 +0100

Yes admittedly find .. ls was a bad example but I was actually trying to demonstrate how much more efficient xargs was than exec as xargs seems to be largely overlooked as a command on various sites that I have worked at.

Ian

|         |           cichomitiko_at_gmail.|
|         |           com               |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           oracle-l-bounce_at_fr|
|         |           eelists.org       |
|         |           18/05/2009 10:52  |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           cichomitiko       |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       Ian Cary/ONS_at_ONS                                                                             |
  |       cc:       pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com, cemail_219_at_hotmail.com, oracle-l_at_freelists.org,                  |
  |        oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org                                                                         |
  |       Subject:  Re: Removing downloaded Oracle software                                                      |

Ian Cary wrote:
> Slightly off topic but I'd use xargs for this approach e.g.

> find $ORACLE_HOME -exec ls -ld {} >>exec_list \;
>

> takes around 3 minutes on a Linux box I have whereas
>

> find $ORACLE_HOME | xargs ls -ld >>xargs_list
>

> produces the same results in 2 seconds

Well,
you could even try:

find ... -ls (without the -exec switch)

Or even:

ls -lR

With recent shells (zsh, ksh93 and bash4) you could even do it all in shell without external commands like find/ls :)

Regards
Dimitre

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government
Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in
partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In
case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

For the latest data on the economy and society consult National Statistics at http://www.statistics.gov.uk

Please Note:  Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our policy on the use of electronic communications

Legal Disclaimer  :  Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Office for National Statistics

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.