Re: Oracle 10g hangs intermittently waiting for I/O

From: Paweł Kotlarz <pkotla_at_go2.pl>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 01:02:49 +0200

Thanks, Rajeev. I enclose my answers below.

Pawel

On 2009-05-16 00:08, Rajeev Prabhakar wrote:
> Pawel,
>
> So that I can understand your environment better, could you please answer
> these questions :
>
> a) Does the database server's /tmp filesystem have adequate free space ?

Free space on /tmp has not dropped below 3G at any time.

> b) Is the oracle installation configured with adequate swap space
> ( I know no sysadmin would like to have additional swap allocated),
> however, going with typical oracle specified swap settings have saved me
> a lots of headaches (while load/stress testing) (including node freeze/reboots).

It is not... We have 32 GB of RAM and 6 GB of swap. Oracle requirement is not enough to convince sysadmins to allocate more swap. I will make another try. I also read Andrew Kerber's blog article (http://dbakerber.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/swap-space-in-linux-and-unix/) . Do you know how exactly Oracle uses/allocates swap space in Linux? Is there perhaps some Metalink/Web article that I could show to system administrators?

> c) What is the size of your temp tablespace ? (Allocated and Free space
> during typical application usage window) ?

It is 512G extensible to 1.5T. The normal usage is around 100-200G, the

   peak over the last week - around 400GB.

> d) Are you (or your application) utilizing GTTs (global temporary tables) ?

No. Temporary tablespace is mainly used for large sorts/joins.

> e) Are you utilizing huge pages on your database server ?

We are not. The SGA is relatively small. Most reads bypass the Oracle cache.

> f) Is this dedicated OR shared server configuration ?

There are dedicated connections only.

> g) Have you looked at the prospect of any soft block corruption for any table ?

Every weekend I run a full cold backup with check logical. It does not report any errors.

> I) Any i/o bound concurrent processes (database specific or otherwise) running
> during the window when database freeze is being observed ? say - backups
> (database OR o.s.)

There are gzip processes compressing large files that are part of the processing.

> j) Are there any specific kinds of processes that are first reported
> to be getting
> hung / experiencing slowness (e.g. reports/html output etc..) ?

These are CTAS statements joining several large tables.