Re: Oracle installation on Local disk vs. SAN

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:26:17 -0500

Currently, we always install on the SAN. (Local disks are used for OS only.) I don't buy the argument about "what if you lose your SAN connection" -- if your datafiles are there anyway, then you won't be running the database without it. I agree with Michael about the benefit of remounting on another server - that's an advantage of having the binaries and database in the same place.

Michael Schmitt wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between keeping
> the binaries on local disk compared to the SAN?
> One advantage of putting the Oracle Home and database on the SAN is
> that if your database server goes down, it is possible to mount all of
> those disks on a seperate server (but same OS) and start up the database

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL