Re: Oracle installation on Local disk vs. SAN

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:47:13 -0500

We share a single database home among many instances on the same server but don't have this problem. When we need to patch, we clone to a new home and apply the patch there. Then "patching" the databases is a simple as a quick restart on the new home (and running the patch script if there is one). Much of this is scripted in our environment.

The "sheer cost of maintainance" is IHMO a good argument for shared homes in large environments. Every copy of the binaries is another copy that you have to maintain. But I think that the dedicated homes model is a little more developed and widespread right now, so in a smaller environment I'm not sure I'd move away from it.

I think the privilege separation is probably a rare requirement, but you'd definitely need separate homes for it.

Actually we're also exploring the NFS idea right now too. We're developing some interesting ideas around having the ORACLE_HOME on a readonly NFS mount.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL