RE: Oracle products on vmware

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:14:26 -0400

Well, we run a ton of VMWare for our environments - hundreds of VMs running Oracle, Oracle RAC, Sybase, SQL Server. However, the note does say:

"If a problem is a known Oracle issue, Oracle support will recommend the

appropriate solution on the native OS. If that solution does not work in
the VMware virtualized environment, the customer will be referred to VMware
for support. When the customer can demonstrate that the Oracle solution
does not work when running on the native OS, Oracle will resume support,

including logging a bug with Oracle Development for investigation if required.

If the problem is determined not to be a known Oracle issue, we will refer
the customer to VMware for support. When the customer can demonstrate that the issue occurs when running on the native OS, Oracle will resume support, including logging a bug with Oracle Development for investigation
if required.

NOTE: Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMWare, and use of

Oracle products in the RAC environment is also not supported."

For us, that's okay, and I imagine in most cases Oracle will still do their best to support you. But having to recreate a new bug on a native platform is a scary proposition, especially if the problem was intermittent or causing serious issues.

Thanks,

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kathy duret

if they find out you are running it on VMware Support could do the ... sorry don't support on VMware.