Re: Oracle Exadata Machine

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:07:03 +0100

You are certainly comparing the right products. Exadata is a direct competitor to the dw people you mention. One thing i have heard though is that frequently the ETL processes that are too slow on oracle and lead to sales for the dw vendors, turn out to be custom procedural code that has to be recoded in a set based manner for the appliance. Guess what happens if you do the same on oracle? This is not to say that the appliances aren't impressive hardware to kill a problem with, as is exadata, just that often impressive hardware resolves bad code.

On 5/13/09, Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com> wrote:
> We briefly looked at Netezza awhile back. The price is in the $1 million
> range. I think it would have been a good fit but for whatever reason we
> could
> not get permission to do a trial.
>
> For what it's worth, I think Neteeza has a better architecture for maximum
> raw
> performance for data warehouse queries. The customized hardware is built for
> that while Oracle's architecture is mostly a reconfiguration of existing
> Oracle features such as RAC along with new hardware.
>
> On the other hand, Netezza doesn't have the Oracle standard features such as
> PL/SQL, some of the indexing capabilities, etc.
>
> Keith
>
>> A couple of weeks ago I asked the list if anyone was using HP/Oracle's
>> Exadata machine.. The response was thunderous in it's silence and I can
>> now see why;
>> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/exadata-pricelist.pdf. Can you
>> say OUCH??
>>
>> Dick Goulet
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>> PAREXEL International
>> 900 Chelmsford St, Suite 310
>> Lowell, MA 01821
>> 978.614.2857
>> Richard.Goulet_at_PAREXEL.COM
>>
>> The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for
>> the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
>> confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
>> dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
>> this information by persons or entities other than the intended
>> recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please destroy
>> any copies, contact the sender and delete the material from any
>> computer.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info