RE: Oracle Exadata Machine

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:33:49 -0400

Right, well, there's a couple of things to consider here:

  • The storage architecture in the database machine is revolutionary for Oracle - it transparently pushes some query processing down to the storage itself. It also allows you to scale storage independent of processing throughput, something that Netezza does not
  • While it's nice that Netezza offers custom ASICs and the like, a custom ASIC isn't necessarily faster than a flat-out Intel processor. Power consumption is probably lower, but when you consider the piece above about independently scaling processors vs. storage, it could balance out
  • The opportunity cost of rewriting your system for a new data warehousing platform can be significant, not to mention the ongoing overhead of feeding data between systems. The database machine allows you to get comparable throughput to a Netezza machine while maintaining Oracle compatibility.

I like the Netezza folks, I knew some of the earlier founding members over there, no idea if any of them are still around. But the reality is that a very very fast RAC cluster with offloaded storage processing has a lot of advantages over a proprietary system.

As for looking at a standalone box, depending on the size you're looking at, between the cost of a, say, 16 processor HP-UX machine plus some high-end storage, I feel confident you can make a business case for a Netezza or an Oracle Database Machine.