RE: Oracle Exadata Machine

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:44:43 -0400

Chris,

    That is a good question and I regret that I don't have an exact apples to apples answer. The HP DL-380 is a darn good Intel powered pizza box, I've used a pile of them over the years and their in the $5-7K range for the hardware alone. What the HP disk array/SAN costs I've no idea. The data warehouse we're looking to build uses an HP-UX machine (sorry I don't know the model number, that's the Unix group's job) and EMC SAN (already in place) but comes in at around $20K. Would be interesting to get an Exadata machine to play with once ours is built. Load it with the same data & run the same queries against it. Results would be real apples to apples.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

From: Taylor, Chris David [mailto:Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com] Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:01 AM
To: exriscer_at_gmail.com; Goulet, Richard Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Oracle Exadata Machine

What are similar costs of a full rack of similar (non-Oracle) equipment for comparison?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of LS Cheng Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:52 AM
To: Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I think it's 600000 for a full rack and half rack 350000 And plus some software license if you dont already own one.

But then again I think this is what Teradata and Netezza costs (or similar) so I guess it's targeted to very high profile customers

--
LSC

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Goulet, Richard

<Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I asked the list if anyone was using HP/Oracle's Exadata machine.. The response was thunderous in it's silence and I can now see why; http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/exadata-pricelist.pdf
<http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/exadata-pricelist.pdf> . Can
you say OUCH?? Dick Goulet Senior Oracle DBA PAREXEL International 900 Chelmsford St, Suite 310 Lowell, MA 01821 978.614.2857 Richard.Goulet_at_PAREXEL.COM The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l