Benefits of sub partitioning by hash

From: Rob Dempsey <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:16:16 +0100

Oracle Version 10g2

We have a typical sales items type table that is partitioned by date and has local bitmap indexes on product code and site code.

I was wondering what are the benefits of sub partitioned by hash on either the customer number or the order number?

Typical queries just sum up quantities sales over a give date range. However we do have some queries which will self-join the table i.e. For a given order what other products are in that order

We do use parallel hints in the queries as well

Any insight will be much appreciated