Re: ASM "disk" replacement

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 12:57:21 +0300

Just wondering - WARNING - from the top of my head.

Since ASM sees the mount point only, it does not care about the physical disks in the storage why not use the storage facilities to do the copy?

  1. create a storage snapshot that duplicate the old disks to the new disks and wait for the storage copy to finish.
  2. bring down the database and severe the connection between the original disks and the snapshot.
  3. switch the mount point to point to the snapshot.
  4. bring up the database.

Take with a TON (not a grain) of salt.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel