RE: Long Parse Time

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 06:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

It really happened to me. I was troubleshooting a vendor application on Windows. Although the error was not as ambiguous as Tanel said "unspecified error", it was not much closer to "read only" file attribute, but I narrowed it down to a file not being deleted. When your brain is deep thinking of some obscure reason, you would lose sight of anything obvious. So I resorted to my ultimate weapon, strace for Windows. Once I found the file to be read only, I called myself stupid!

Yong Huang

  • "Michael McMullen" wrote ---

I know you're simplifying to make a point but doing strace cmd /c del test.txt | grep STATUS when you can't delete a file would be showing a lack of knowledge
I don't need a study of muzzle gun velocity to know that a bullet fired out of that gun will kill me.

Reminds me of university and the old "knowledge vs wisdom" debate with one of my great science profs who was trying to drill into our heads that the scientific method <> knowledge & wisdom