Re: heavyweight OS monitoring as standard

From: Adric Norris <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:24:20 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Jeremy Schneider <> wrote:
> I'm at Collaborate right now, and we just finished the RAC SIG
> bird-of-a-feather session (it's a group discussion, and was quite good).
> Had an interesting point come up - we were discussing troubleshooting
> and asked how many people ran OSW as a standard practice on their
> clusters. (Metalink note 301137.1) I think about half the room raised
> their hands.
> How many people on this list install OSW as a standard practice on their
> database servers? Do you install some other heavy-weight monitoring tool
> as a standard? I always thought that most people only installed
> light-weight monitoring tools by default, would only install something
> like OSW and if there were problems since it captures so much data. But
> maybe this should become a standard practice for us; it would make
> troubleshooting machine crashes after the fact a *lot* easier.

I'm currently running OSW on all nodes of our RAC clusters, both prod and nonprod, largely because Oracle Support usually seems to as for its data when we open a SR these days. It contains quite a bit of useful information, although at my shop we're just starting to look at it outside the context of an active SR.

All of our clusters are currently running on Sun hardware, so we probably won't be able to try out IPD anytime soon. I'll definitely keep an eye open for updates, tho.

BTW, it was good to meet you at the Welcome Reception last night. :)

"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.