RE: make create table run faster?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:33:15 -0400

If you already know the create table step is not the bottleneck, why are you trying to make it faster? I would think you would want to make it more efficient without slowing it down to the point that it becomes the bottleneck, leaving as many resources as possible available for the parts that are the bottleneck.

Now it might be possible to partition your queries in some fashion that allows them to run in parallel as separate queries feeding separate partitions so that you effectively construct the contents of the new table in separate chunks without the overhead of parallel query and using separate threads of non-parallel insert, but without understanding your source queries in detail that is just speculation.

Curiously yours,

mwf