Re: make create table run faster?

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_prospectiv.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:11:57 -0400

Thanks Daniel, Mark and Vamshi for your suggestions. Yes, I have looked the select statments extensively. The create table step is not the bottle neck but I am wondering if I could just add some simple oracle parameters to make it faster. Oracle has a bug when create table with partition or create bitmap index using "parallel". For "normal" table and index the parallel option seems fine. Anyway I will look into your suggestions. Thanks.

Guang

  • Original Message ----- From: Daniel Fink To: gmei_at_prospectiv.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:09 PM Subject: Re: make create table run faster?

  Is there a reason you are not creating a Global Temporary Table? And then populating with an INSERT SELECT? GTTs can save time/resource when properly used.

  You also need to look at the SELECT to see if that is the time consumer.

  Also be aware that CTAS in 10g may provide incorrect results due to a bug with the hash group by operation. (Or is it CTAS is correct and the SELECT by itself is wrong?...either way you need to be aware of it!)

  Regards,
  Daniel Fink

--

Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data? http://www.ora600.be/
  Guang Mei wrote:

    Oracle 10g in a NONARCHIVE mode.
    I need to create some temp tables during some process. These temp tables will not be updated. I am doing something like this now:

    CREATE TABLE TMP_TABLE123 PCTFREE 0 parallel 3 nologging as select ... from <some_base_tables>

    Is there any other oracle parameters that I could use to make this step faster?

    Guang

--

Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data? http://www.ora600.be/

--