RE: how can I proove Oracle doesn't measure every SQL-execution

From: Milen Kulev <makulev_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:39:37 +0200

Martin,
sorry for cathing up lately with this thread . 1) You can increase the sample rate of ASH _ash_sampling_interval =100 (milliseconds, the minimum). There is no measurable increased CPU consumption , latch contention etc. (I have tried to measure it, but I am getting < 0.2 CPU overhead and this value could be a measurement noise).
2) ASH makes persistent only 1 of 10 records of the ASH buffer (and NOT "1 of 10 records *per session* of the ASH buffer"). The only way to write all the information from ASH buffer to the WRH$_ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY is to set
_ash_disk_filter_ratio=1 (instead of default 10). Be prepared to see muuuch more wait evecnt of wait class "Systime I/O" ;( 3) ASH can give you the count of wait events of each sql, but not the times (TIME_WAITED and WAIT_TIME (for CPU consumprion) ) Are extremely unreliable. In order to get read times you must sample v$sess_time_model, and then using ASH (+ v$SQLSTATS) to correlate ASH wait counts with session DB time in order to get SQL statemets execution time, resourece consumption in a specified period. I don't think you need so much data (10046 event trace files), at least at the beginning. Just use ASH + AWR to get the interesting periods, when performance is bad and focus on these periods.

HTH. Milen