RE: RMAN Duplicate from lower patchset to higher patchsets

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 04:10:16 -0400 (EDT)

Joe,

Main idea of doing upgrade in dev/test environment first and doing testing on them is to avoid problems in production later.

Before we do any upgrade, we always tar up oracle inventory and $ORACE_HOME. And put it to tape. So if we needed to revert back, then simply untar the Oracle binaries and restore database from RMAN backup. And this decision in production would be taken at the time of upgrade, in case of any problems. Not after few days. As once database has been up and running for few days, then you would not want to lose transaction for those days. So to revert backup production from 10204 to 10203 after few days activity, i would recommend doing the downgrade rather than restore from backup.

Regards,

Vishal Gupta

From: TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com [mailto:TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com] Sent: 23 April 2009 16:17
To: Vishal Gupta
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN Duplicate from lower patchset to higher patchsets

I know this is a hassle and a pain but if you're stuck with that:

  1. what would you do if the patch was no good and you needed to resort to previous version(i'm assuming you took 10.2.0.3 and patched in place to 10.2.0.4)
  2. why not keep the 10.2.0.3 and add a 10.2.0.4 tree, realizing 2 oracle homes BUT it takes care of #1 above and doing the clone of production, startup the db in production version and do the upgrade to 10.2.0.4.

Or am I missing something here?

joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Consultant
Data Engineering and Administration
Nationwide Investments

(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

"Vishal Gupta" <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>

<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>

04/23/2009 11:06 AM

RE: RMAN Duplicate from lower patchset to higher patchsets

Sent by:

oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

Anyone got any ideas ?

Regards,
Vishal Gupta
http://www.vishalgupta.com <http://www.vishalgupta.com/>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Vishal Gupta Sent: Wed 22/04/2009 23:25
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RMAN Duplicate from lower patchset to higher patchsets

Hi,

I am sure lot of people might have faced this problem. From what i have researched so far, RMAN does not support duplication (i am not talking restore here, but duplicate clone) between different version of oracle.

So if you have a very critical system, then obvious thing to do would be upgrade dev, then test , then production. But let's throw another complication into the picture, if lot of your dev and test instances are refreshed from production RMAN backup on a daily basis. Then you can't really upgrade dev/test first and leave production, until your testing is finished. RMAN does not allow duplicating a database from older version to newer version.

Though there is a procedure to restore database and then upgrade/downgrade

eg.
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs upgrade/downgrade; now follow the downgrade/upgrade steps;

As anyone found any way of duplicating database using RMAN from say 10.2.0.3 to 10.2.0.4?

Regards,
Vishal Gupta