RE: Problem flushing shared pool on 11.1.0.7 HP-UX Itanium

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:39:50 +0100

Is CPU a problem at other times, are you hitting high CPU usage most of the time or is it just when the shared_pool is getting fragmented? What is the total memory on the server

Have you checked the number of loads and executions in the shared_pool to see if pinning packages can help

Whilst this is only a stab in the dark, page target seems high relative to cache and shared_pool

John

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mathias Magnusson Sent: 24 April 2009 16:56
To: aleon68_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Problem flushing shared pool on 11.1.0.7 HP-UX Itanium

Surely, flushing the shared pool is far from being a best practice. I don't think that is the solution, as it is probably not solving the real problem

Isn't the size of SGA contributing? Would it not be that as you have increased it to be this beg more things are kept there and as a result more CPU can be spent on spinning for a latch?

There seems to have been a few issues with this in 11G, but it also seems that they were *supposed* to have ben fixed in 11g. It may be worthwhile getting Oracle support to tell you if you are running into a bug.

If it's not a bug, then tracking the actual issue may help more than figuring out issues with flushing the shared pool unless that is the actual thing you ned to make work. It sounds as if you are rather trying to fix issues with a workaround you're using.

Mathias
2009/4/24 Alfonso León <aleon68_at_gmail.com<mailto:aleon68_at_gmail.com>> Hi everybody:

We have a HP-UX Itanium Server with 28Gb of memory, 4 cores, Oracle 11.1.0.7. it often hangs waiting for flushing shared pool, manually or automatically. Memory Target is 18Gb.

the ASMM set the following parameters

__db_cache_size=5368709120
__java_pool_size=67108864
__large_pool_size=67108864
__oracle_base='/prod01/app/oracle'#ORACLE_BASE set from environment
__pga_aggregate_target=6710886400
__sga_target=12616466432
__shared_io_pool_size=0
__shared_pool_size=6912212992
__streams_pool_size=67108864

when the shared pool is full, sometimes we get that most processes wait for library cache: mutex X. It takes up to 2 hours to flush the shared pool and sometimes we have to kill the smon because the instances doesn't accept any conection to shutdown the instance.

Has anybody had issues with flushing the shared pool?

--
Alfonso Leon

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way. Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email. Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.