RE: Oracle to acquire Sun

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:42:27 -0700

Niagara/T2 is horrible for any cpu-intensive, single-threaded processing, like a large query or update, exp/imp, datapump, etc. Don’t be fooled by the marketing material. We were recently burned badly by trying to migrate a system from old V440 to a new T2000 – performance was awful. We ended up moving to Linux on Dell 2950s instead, with just one quad-core Xeon, and it blows away the T2000. The T2000 gives you 32 virtual processors/threads, but each process you run is strictly limited to only one of those threads, and the throughput of that individual thread is about the same as an old 300MHz CPU. Oracle even confirms the same problem in Metalink Note 781763.1. We just had a lot of discussion on this very topic a couple months ago – here’s the thread for more detail:

http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Oracle-Performance-on-Sunfire-T2000,1

This brings up another topic I’ve been wondering about - I see a lot of talk about Oracle on AIX, HP and Sun, but not much at all about Oracle on Dell and I'm just curious why it seems to be overlooked. We run Oracle on just about everything in our data center - AIX, HPUX, Solaris, Windows & VMS, but lately we've been doing a lot of Oracle Enterprise Linux on Dell 2950s with quad-core Xeons and the performance and stability have both been great - for a fraction of the cost of a Sun or HP x86 box. Does anyone have a good reason for avoiding Dell or paying extra for Sun or HP x86 boxes instead?

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mathias Magnusson

Why would it not be the Niagara line of processors? T2 runs databases like a dream and Oracle gives a very nice discount on the cores you have to license. In many cases that makes for a fantastic ROI on an extremely potent database server. It is also where SUN put a lot of R/D dollars over the last few years. T3 or whatever they'll name the next processor on the same technology ought to further advance the threads and cores and make it even more fascinating as a computing platform for Oracle.