RE: Oracle to acquire Sun

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:26:20 -0400

So, as someone who has to support both AIX and Solaris as part of our software product, if I had to shoot one of them in the head, it would be AIX 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

Oracle on AIX behaves oddly, with a variety of fun JVM bugs from an automation perspective, plus it doesn't have any of the awesome DTrace/ZFS that comes with Solaris, plus there's no x86 variant of AIX.

As far as the HP partnership, I suspect it will live out its life based on the contractual obligation, and then the hardware will be silently replaced with Sun x86 hardware. I doubt Oracle will drop Exadata so soon, though they might transition it to a range of bundled solutions.

Remember that the Oracle/Sun transaction won't be closed until midyear, and so it will be quite a while before Oracle starts making any serious changes to the product lines.

Thanks,
Matt