Re: how can I proove Oracle doesn't measure every SQL-execution

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:51:50 -0700 (PDT)

Since ASH does not pull *ALL* executions (it just pulls from the event tables every 10 seconds if memory serves) then you would miss information there anyway. You could trace all sessions and then write some code to cull through the trace files and produce the report you need. I can't recall if the trace files have both the start and stop times in it though.... need to go look at one and refresh my memory on that (I usually look at wait events, execution times, etc.... not what TIME it is!!). You could even create external tables against the trace files (this is a fun exercise). The performance impact from this would probably negate the results of the tracing on a large busy system.

Just some thinking aloud.... :)

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

  • Original Message ---- From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com> To: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com> Cc: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:37:31 AM Subject: Re: how can I proove Oracle doesn't measure every SQL-execution

Hi Alan,

I also thought about ASH, especially with 'colored SQL' in 11g (to get better historical info on dedicated SQLs) BUT ASH does not tell me when the statement was finished (I have to check wether or not there is a matching entry in the next sampling periode) AND I was also asked for the execution time of statements with expected execution time of 100ms and less - there ASH can not help me with a sampling period of 1s

thank you for your suggestions, anyway,
Martin