Oracle to acquire Sun

From: Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:51:52 +0100

2009/4/21 Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>:
> Yes, and maybe we will see Linux on Sun.

There did used to be a version of Linux for Sun, Mandrake IIRC.  I did run it for a while on an old Sparc20 box but it didn't really have any apps available so I trashed the box and installed Solaris 9.

I got the impression that it was more for someone who's primary aim was to run Linux on Sparc, rather than wanting to do anything useful with it.

That said, I did setup and attend a presentation by someone from SuSE (got him to address a local LUG) who said that because of the way they develop their code it's very easy for them to recompile for non-Intel platforms.  If there is sufficient demand they will produce the product.  One of the possibilities he cited was Sparc (Power (i.e. IBM) was another one).  To mis-quote Jim Morrison (in "Wayne's World 2"): "If you come, they will build it!"

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/ |
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenboothuk | Skype: stephenbooth_uk

Apparently I'm a "Eierlegende Woll-Milch-Sau", I think it was meant as
a compliment.