Re: ** trace file

From: A Joshi <ajoshi977_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:12:19 -0700 (PDT)

Tim,

  I know the trace file name. I want to have a different name. For example I have a long procedure running for hours. I do a

oradebug setospid 400

oradebug unlimit

oradebug event 10046 trace name context forever , level 12

then after 5minutes :

oradebug event 10046 trace name context off

to get the trace file. This makes the file quite bulky. Then I do some changes like create index, analyze etc and after sometime I do this trace  again and so on.  I want to  do the second part to  separate file.

I might need to do this couple of time and cannot have a 1GB trace file.

I also cannot remove the file or empty the trace file. Because after that nothing goes into the file. Thanks

  • On Sun, 4/19/09, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote: From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> Subject: Re: ** trace file To: ajoshi977_at_yahoo.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 1:37 PM

If you're going to use ORADEBUG, then how about taking another approach and simply obtaining the regular trace file name using ORADEBUG TRACEFILE_NAME instead?

Hope this helps!

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc. P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO 80163-0791

website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim_at_EvDBT.com
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608
Yahoo IM  = tim_evdbt

A Joshi wrote:

        Hi,

Is there a way to give a specific name to a trace file. Thanks for help. tracefile_identifier can be used as below :

alter session set tracefile_identifier='XY'

However, this does not seem to work for

oradebug setospid 400

oradebug unlimit

oradebug event 10046 trace name context forever , level 12

This is needed since same process could be running long and a new trace file is needed and old one needs to be deleted. I tried enabling trace for some time and then doing :

oradebug event 10046 trace name context off

then enabling it again : this seems to add to the trace file but not much luck with getting the info using tkprof. Can someone help. Thanks.

I tried emptying trace file by moving another file to it and then doing vi and deleting contents. However, after that it does not write to the file. Thanks