How to make RMAN delete Archive logs on 9i physical standby

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:34:43 -0700

Greetings,

I am running Oracle 9.2.0.8.0 EE (it is a third party application which cannot be upgraded to 10g sadly) on 64-bit RHEL4. I have set up a physical standby on a separate server and am using RMAN to back up the Primary only. In 9i the RMAN construct -

RMAN> CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY; Does not exist thus leaving me in charge of managing the cleanup of archive logs on the standby. As I understand it the only way I can do this is to also have RMAN back up the physical standby and have that backup delete the archive logs. The question I am not able to find the answer to is whether RMAN is aware of whether or not the archive logs have been applied to the standby before it removes them. I can envision a situation where RMAN has deleted archive logs on the standby before they have been applied thus creating an archive gap and then I have to go through the process of copying them over, making the standby aware of them and applying them. I suppose I could write a script to do this but I am hoping there is an easier way or something else readily available I could take advantage of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center