RE: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

From: Kenneth Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:52:36 -0400

I find that many PL/SQL developers and developers of PL/SQL code generators code as if PL/SQL wasn’t a database language; they tend to treat tables as text files and do not use the power of database/sql. The second major issue I see is developers that learned to code (or copy and paste) pl/sql for Oracle 7 or 8 and not taking advantage of any of the new features of SQL and PL/SQL.

I spend a lot of time converting PL/SQL into straight SQL using case statements and analytical and seeing significant performance improvements, up to 3 orders of magnitude depending on how bad the pl/sql was originally.

While I’m sure I could learn a few things from Cary’s PL/SQL developers, I also have some spare time to assist with rewriting PL/SQL if anyone needs another set of eyes.

Ken Naim

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:14 PM
To: cary.millsap_at_method-r.com
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

From what I have seen, an awful lot of that poor SQL comes from applications that generate SQL code, often several pages in a single statement. Another major problem is poorly designed views.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com> wrote:

I've got some exceptionally good PL/SQL developers working for me, too. They were very difficult to find. We have some spare capacity, too, if anyone in Oracle-L land is looking for help designing and writing PL/SQL code.

Cary Millsap
http://method-r.com
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com> wrote:

There are some good ones, but they are hard to find. What makes it harder is that pl/sql developers tend to make less than DBAs. So the smart ones migrate to DBA work so they can get better compensation. This is not always the case, but quite common.

I've known a few.

Here's one: http://awads.net/wp/

I personally know a couple of other local folks that are quite good with PL/SQL. I've also known some that are not so good.

The problem here is not just developers that aren't good at PL/SQL, it's developers that aren't good at development, regardless of language, platform or database.

Some folks have carved out the wrong niche for themselves.

Jared Still

Andrew W. Kerber