Re: RMAN backup to disk and then later copy to tape

From: dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:00:07 -0400

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:12 AM, <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com> wrote:
> Are you using catalog?
> You mentioned that you do not set retention period. Do you have default
> retention of 7 days or set to some high value?

   For production I use a catalog, for test/dev I sometimes do. In earlier versions there were limitations if you didn't use a catalog. I believe the only benefit now is that the controlfile only keeps so much history. You can change that as well but I don't think you want large controlfiles.

I would have to check the retention, i'm not sure off hand.. There are two options tho, just set a high retention or turn it off with CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO NONE. I just don't run delete obsolete or crosscheck. I do this because my dailies, weeklies and monthlies have different retention periods.. I guess I could tag the backups and setup retention policies for each...

> How do you manage archived logs that are older then few days? Do you just
> delete at OS level? How do you sync deleted archived logs with
> catalog/repository?

I delete them at the OS level and I don't sync with the catalog.