Re: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:36:06 +0200

"Unless database become sexy and exciting it would be hard for younger professionals to get attracted"

Well.... The complexity and architecture of the oracle database kernel is probably the sexiest thing I've come accross in my life so far (thank god I'm single right now or that statement could get me into trouble ;-)

I'm a great fan of what toon says and advocates. However, the trend nowadays seems to go in quite the opposite direction with many vendors.

What you're describing as being "sexy" (colourful charts and buttons and all that ) is IMHO only the surface. Looks can be deceiving, and in this case they certainly are. Once you start looking underneath the covers of such a "sexy" framework it comes down to being incredibly ugly in most cases, and asking for a slow performance by design.

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder