Re: Cold backup versus hot backup.

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:14:45 +1000

Jack van Zanen wrote,on my timestamp of 14/04/2009 9:33 AM:
> What makes the implementation of hot backups so much more complex?
>
> RMAN>backup database;
>

> RMAN>Restore database;
> RMAN>Recover database;
>

> looks simple enough to me

plus:

  • manage the archive log file system so that even on the highest load of an errant program it doesn't fill up and freeze the db.
  • find enough space somewhere to keep the compressed archived logs until the next backup and make sure it doesn't blow up under the same conditions.
  • make sure the archiver works fine and doesn't let the db freeze while waiting for it.

and I can think of a few details more, mostly relevant to development and test dbs.
What do you reckon of this as a subject to talk about on a future meetup?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto