RE: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <"Mercadante,>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:14:44 -0400

Ramesh,

What I'm seeing with SOA (and Hibernate) is that there is less PL/SQL code and more Java code. I agree with you that the trend seems to be using Oracle as a file store only. In what I've seen of COTS applications, this seems to also be the trend.

I had a discussion with a very good experienced developer recently. He was asked in a meeting where he puts his application code. He mentioned that they started writing a lot of pl/sql packages and calling them from the java code. But the weakness with that approach was that he noticed that application logic started to spread across the platforms. Some in PL/SQL and some in the Java code. It just got unmanageable for him and his team. Their new approach is keeping everything in Java. This may have been a life-cycle thing in that as they got more comfortable with Java, and worked constantly in it, it made no sense to keep using PL/SQL.   So now the challenge with the development teams is teaching them relational design and why we design a database the way we do. Their approach is a flat-table design. Constant discussions about how to store something as simple as a name and address.

Hope this helps.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of RameshGeecee Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 7:33 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Real-life PL/SQL these days ...

Hi Listers,
I was wondering what are the real-life PL/SQL usages in these days of n-tier applications. Is anybody putting code into the PL/SQL layer in the modern applications any more? Looks like most of the apps getting built these days are either java / C# apps with the db being just a "store" for data and nothing more with the app developers removed from the db, by an OR Mapper like Hibernate.

What's your take on the current majority of the systems?

--
Regards,
Ramesh.