Re: Cold backup versus hot backup.

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:13:03 +1000

I would always suggest a hot backup.
The only advantage of cold backups over hot backups I can think of is that if you only have the datafiles and no archives you can still bring it up in a consistent state (old data but consistent).

jack

2009/4/13 Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>

> Another debate...
>
> We have several DBs that are currently under a cold backup schema.
> Basically they go down either every day or once a week and a full cold
> backup is taken. There are several issues related to the DB starting
> up before the backup ends, but that's not an Oracle problem, nor a
> cold-backup problem... just a lack of attention problem.
>
> On the other hand, hot backups have many advantages...
>
> what do you consider are the advantages and disadvantages of both cold
> and hot backups, and would you use a cold backup schema? if so, in
> what situation?
>
> Thanks ^_^
>

> Alan Bort
> Oracle Certified Professional

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation