Re: "Practicing" Oracle performance tuning ...

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:27:37 -0700

OEM 10g (Database Control) is definitely a solid performance tuning product and if you've got use it. OEM is set up for 24x7 monitoring and is good at it. DB Optimizer is a quick easy reliable view into performance and is complimentary to OEM.

DB Optimizers advantages over OEM 10g

   faster
   lighter
   easier
   cheaper
   less resource usage
DB Optimizer works on Oracle 8 and 9 as well as 10 and 11. DB Optimizer has no database install on a database - just point and monitor. DB Optimizer's data is visualized faster than OEM and the data can be analyzed finer grained than OEM.
DB Optimizer uses less than 1% of a CPU. Diagnostics pack sometimes use 100% of a CPU over several minutes of time every hour. DB Optimizer costs a fraction of the price of OEM ( often 1/100 the price for a medium size shop).
DB Optimizer works on SQL Server, Sybase and DB2 which might or might not be very important.

I've personally been frustrated with OEM's slowness and more importantly at OEM not being available for various hard to diagnose reasons. On a small database I found it faster to recreate the database than figure out why OEM broke, thus I like the light easy dependable fast access to the performance data that DB Optimizer gives.

Best
Kyle