RE: RMAN Catalog

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:53:10 -0400

Jeffrey,

    The answer is it depends. If your recovery window is going to be short I see no reason to use a recovery catalog. On the other hand if you need to be able to restore a database to any point in time in the last 7 years the recovery catalog is priceless.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:49 AM
To: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l
Subject: RMAN Catalog

We are investigating switch from hot backups to RMAN backups. I am reading Robert Freeman's book on 10G RMAN backup and recovery.

The book lists pros and cons of using a recovery catalog.

What is the consensus, is it better to use a recovery catalog or not?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113