RE: Riddle me this.....

From: SHEEHAN, JEREMY <Jeremy.Sheehan_at_fpl.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:15:35 -0400

no rows returned

Jeremy
 Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of SHEEHAN, JEREMY Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:47 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Riddle me this.....

Ok. Here's an interesting question that some developers threw at me. I don't see anything wrong with the statement but it just does not work....

This statement does not work.....

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id in -- this statement has the 'in'
(select sttl_id_iso from isolink_pjm_sttl_estim_w_iso

     where  sttl_id   =  '131545258'
     )

but this one does:

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id = -- this statement has the '='
(select sttl_id_iso from isolink_pjm_sttl_estim_w_iso

     where  sttl_id   =  '131545258'
     )

The subquery works. I can even run the 4 statements. It pulls back the same data as the second statement above.

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id in (130637378)

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id in ('130637378')

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id = 130637378

select * from pjm_nm_sttl_component

    where sttl_id = '130637378'

We're running 10.2.0.4 on AIX 5.3.7

Any ideas?

Jeremy
Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. --

i0zX+n{+i^ Received on Thu Apr 09 2009 - 14:15:35 CDT

Original text of this message