Re: What would you do with 8 disks?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:30:13 -0500

Hey Dave -

Only one guy mentioned ASM, nobody asked whether it's hardware or software RAID... or what operating system you're using (for software RAID)... As Niall pointed out, there is indeed no correct answer without first soliciting more data - particularly about your requirements. We're deploying systems with local disk in several of the suggested configurations and we tend to favor either hardware RAID or ASM for data protection. I don't think that we still micromanage file-to-spindle mappings for any of our databases... it's very tedious and IMHO the small benefit isn't worth the large effort. Especially when you have a few DBA's managing a lot of databases.

If you have time and it's hardware RAID, I'd suggest setting up both a RAID5 glob of all the disks and subsequently a RAID10 configuration on the same box, and running orion on both (make sure to run it long enough to exhaust any cache effect). Then you have some precise numbers and you can see exactly what the performance/space trade-off will be.

If you're deploying a large number of boxes in a "standard" configuration (as we do), then you also might be working with vague requirements - "what do I think will be best for the most people over the next months/years"... and that's a horse of whole different color. :) I had a conversation just a few days ago about nearly this exact question. Our platform guys always reserve two disks for the OS, and we're probably going to recommend a single hardware RAID5 glob of everything else for the oracle-related stuff... if only because it's simple to support and 8 local disks is a small configuration for us... so people will probably not be ordering this particular config if they need high performance. But it hasn't quite been nailed down yet.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL