Permissions in PL/SQL

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:02:13 -0400

Greeting,

I am trying to expand my horizons by learning more about PL/SQL and convert an anonymous block I wrote ages ago into a procedure. I've learned that Types cannot be defined in a procedure so am building a package and have run into a problem. The code block selects from SYS-owned objects and X$KTFBUE. The original block was run from SYS, but I don't want go create the package there so I thought I could execute the create package from SYS with a different schema as owner (UTILITY) and the clause AUTHID CURRENT_USER to get similar permissions. I get compile errors indicating table access failures and I can't grant select on X$ tables. Am I missing something, or is my only choices to convert the code to use the DBA_LMT_USED_EXTENTS view instead or have SYS as the package owner? (Not about to use the 2nd choice.)

This is on a 9i database if that has any bearing.

Thanks,

Mike Hand