Re: Mirroring redo log groups or not ?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:51:58 -0600

One situation I've witnessed....

A lot of people create the online redo log files with the file-extension of ".log". A lot of SysAdmins have a "cron"-initiated script that removes files named ".txt", ".log", ".lst", etc that are older than N days old from certain file-systems, or sometimes when a file-system is filling up someone will run a "find" command to find big text files (i.e. ".log" is a good candidate) and get rid of them. Put the two together and you've got the perfect storm.

For my part, I always use the file-extension of ".rdo" or just plain old ".dbf", but never ".log". Of course, someone can still remove files with those extensions, but I feel the probability is smaller...

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc. P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO 80163-0791

website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim_at_EvDBT.com
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608